Web Application Development
What Is a Web Application?
A web application is a software or computer program that uses a web browser (i.e., they don’t need to be downloaded) to perform a specific function, such as shopping, content management, online forms, etc.
Built around three key components: a web server, an application server, and a database. A web application can be considered a more dynamic and interactive version of a traditional, information-oriented website.
Types of Web Applications
- Static Web ApplicationsThese applications display small amounts of content and aren’t very flexible. Think of them as smaller-scale webpages, developed with HTML and CSS, with capabilities to include banners, GIFs, videos, and similar dynamic elements.
- Dynamic Web ApplicationsThese are more technically complex applications, but they also have more capabilities than static web apps. Dynamic web apps can accommodate features like forums or databases, and their content and design can be modified easily based on admins’ preferences.
- E-CommerceE-Commerce applications enable businesses to sell products and services online, via a web browser. They’re complex to develop largely because of the backend operations, payment processing, product and inventory management, etc. Required to make them function properly, but the ROI is more than worth the effort in this age of online shopping and self-service.
- PortalsPortals are a type of application that allows users to access a variety of categories and sections through a single homepage. Think forums, chatrooms, email clients, search engines, or academic databases.
- Content Management SystemsA content management system (CMS) is a useful application for businesses looking to update content frequently, whether that’s making changes to their website, updating a blog, or anything else. A CMS empowers administrators to make these changes without relying on coding skills.
Why Develop your Web Application with Syberry?
We start by working closely with our clients to understand their goals and problems. After that we put together a plan to bring the clients’ vision for a web application to life, including user interface, feature requirements, foundational technologies, and other specifications.
To be sure our vision is aligned with our client’s, we use what we’ve learned in discovery to build a prototype: a functional but not-yet-complete visualization that starts to bring the web application and its user experience to life. Think of it like the software version of a minimum viable product.
Once our client has approved the prototype and we know are aligned on the vision for the application, the development process begins. We use an agile approach that enables us to deliver usable iterations on a regular basis, adding layer upon layer of complexity until the project is complete.
Quality assurance happens in tandem with development, as a separate team thoroughly tests every line of code to ensure it functions as it should and ensures any bugs are fixed prior to delivery.
Once your new web application is ready to launch, we work with your team to purchase the domain name and set up the site with a cloud-based hosting provider so users can access it from any browser, anytime.
Whether real-life usage of the application reveals necessary adjustments, or your growing business could benefit from additional features down the road, Syberry’s team is on call to support the performance of your new application even after implementation.
Examples of Syberry Web Applications
Crowdfunding Platform for Textbooks
This crowdfunding platform with bookstore integrations is a designed to offset the high costs associated with higher education by matching financial donors with students who need assistance purchasing textbooks and other course materials.
Music Rights Management Platform
A startup needed a system to automate the process of tracking music performances in venues and providing reports to submit to performance rights organizations. The platform uses sound recognition technology to identify music usage, and its database and reporting features generate reports including song title, artist, and all the corresponding information. Unlike existing solutions, the platform’s tracking reports are secure and accurate enough to be allowable in legal proceedings. Altogether, this platform empowers businesses and songwriters to work together simply and equitably.
Electronic Medical Record
A single patient’s electronic health record can span more than 100 pages, and siloed, inaccessible data makes it nearly impossible for clinicians to leverage all the insights available to them in caring for their patients. Our client was looking for a solution to these problems, and we created a custom platform that enabled them to capture clinical insights from patients’ electronic health records and the data-related processes causing bottlenecks in the patient care workflows.
Customer Success Stories
The platform was created for law enforcement agencies as a simple and efficient tool to coordinate their efforts in real-time, using multiple sources of video.
The system features live streaming of 5 simultaneous video streams up to FullHD (1080p); access recorded video content; data encryption; GPS data goes with a video-stream; various camera models are supported, the list can be expanded. The system features latency time below 150 ms.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a web application and a website?
How do you know if your business needs a custom web application?
What are the benefits of web application development?
- They’re faster and more cost-effective to develop than native applications (like you’d find in the Apple app store, for example).
- They don’t require any downloads to access, which means less to manage from an administrative perspective and easier access for end users.
- They’re designed to work with any operating system (iOS, Windows, etc.) and on any browser (Safari, Chrome, etc.).
- Operating costs are minimal, with no hardware requirements or devices to update and very little system maintenance to worry about.
- Web applications are easy to update with new features, content, or information, and they’re easy to customize according to brand requirements and admin preferences.
- Since they’re usually deployed on dedicated servers, rather than each user’s device, web applications can be constantly monitored and managed, tightening security and identifying any potential breaches before they turn into catastrophes.
Are there any disadvantages of web applications?
- They’re reliant on a functioning internet connection and web browser.
- They often struggle to integrate with other hardware and operating systems your users may be relying on, and they operate a little more slowly than a native application (this is why you often see company websites working less effectively than mobile apps on your smartphone).
- Web apps come with fewer quality control capabilities than native apps.
What our customers say about us
Syberry’s team was highly responsive and communicative, managing our project smoothly, responding immediately to any issues that arose, and delivering great software at a reasonable price.
CEO, ADEPT Driver
Elk Grove, CA
How we help ADEPT Driver Company
We developed a web-based driving simulator for teens and another for adults. The products run on Chromebooks, and the team added features that enable them to measure a driver's ability to avoid a crash.
I don't think you could find a better company to manage and build your project. I get so many compliments on my application, and it has a lot of unique and complex development.
Charleston, South Carolina
How we help PIXRIT Company
A photographer approached us to build a web-based software platform that combines the fastest social media manager with state-of-the-art galleries and provides the ultimate tool for photographers to upload, store, back up, and share their photos and manage their SMM activities.
The high-quality, user-friendly software Syberry created for us has helped grow our clientele, and we were very pleased with their partnership. Syberry was straightforward and consistent in their communication, met every deadline, and ensured a hassle-free development process.
Owner, Steel Estimating Solutions
How we help Steel Estimating Solutions Company
Our client was inspired to create a product that helps steel erection companies perform faster, more efficient estimations and bids. We developed original proprietary software from the initial concept.
Syberry delivered world-class service for a cost-efficient price. They communicated well with our team throughout the process, breaking down steps and utilizing a streamlined management system to keep everyone in the loop at all times. The resulting new platform far outperforms its predecessor and has received rave reviews.
Owner, FDI Creative Services
How we help FDI Creative Services Company
Following strict regulations and requirements, we used AWS to develop a custom e-commerce web app that includes shipping integration. Since the site’s launch, the team has continued to make updates.
The application was delivered on time and within budget. Syberry explained their process thoroughly and accommodated to scope changes effortlessly. Their stellar project management, highly responsive communication, and proactive attitude set them apart.
CEO, Fahrenheit Marketing
How we help Fahrenheit Marketing Company
We developed a large, complex .NET application with various third-party integrations. The team built the software from scratch based on existing wireframes.
The end solution exceeded the client’s expectations. Syberry delivered high-quality products on time and at outstanding value. They provided frequent updates and repeatedly sought feedback at each stage. Customers can expect a highly experienced team that easily translates concepts into solutions.
Executive Director, Velikom
How we help Velikom Company
Our team built video streaming software as a web and desktop app for a third-party client. We completed end-to-end development—from scoping to feedback cycles to QA—using PHP and Wowza Streaming Engine.
Syberry has significantly improved our existing platform, and they continue demonstrate their dedication to our business goals and needs by making thoughtful suggestions for enhancements. The Syberry team is communicative and reliable, mitigating all our concerns about outsourcing software development.
VP of Products, THG Energy Solutions
How we help THG Energy Solutions Company
Taking over for another vendor, we served as the ongoing software engineering partner for an energy company’s cloud-based platform. The company provided scoping, development, testing, and deployment services.
Syberry has been an invaluable partner in development. Their impressive team was more than able to fulfill our project needs, and their expertise and dedication led to smooth collaboration every step of the way. The result was a successfully launched product that has received lots of positive feedback.
How we help MyMelo Company
We provided staff augmentation resources for a development project. The team contributed engineers to follow an established roadmap to perform updates and add features.
The database Syberry developed has empowered 40 organizations to help in the fight against COVID-19. A communicative partner, the Syberry team worked quickly and efficiently to launch the website, and they continue to invest their time and efforts into the project.
Product Director, Covid Resource Network
West Orange, New Jersey
How we help Covid Resource Network Company
The company developed a website that serves as a database where organizations can find and donate to other organizations. Currently, the team is working on enhancing the website and fixing bugs.
Syberry was a patient partner, making this engagement feel like a true collaboration. The system they created for us will save our team significant time and frustration.
VP of Operations, Ernie's Mobile Home Transport
How we help Ernie's Mobile Home Transport Company
The team built an information hub for a mobile home transport and permit service. After discussing the existing system and processes, we delivered a new structure for forms and data.
The Syberry team is skilled at juggling multiple projects. Though they are in high demand, we were confident that they had the resources and the expertise needed to focus on our partnership. Their constant dedication led to a truly successful engagement, and the final product exceeded all our expectations.
Executive VP, Fox Business Automation Solutions
How we help Fox Business Automation Solutions Company
Brought on as a third party, we supplied ongoing development services. The team work on multiple projects and deliver according to predetermined design specifications.